Friday, December 8, 2017

Atlantic Kayak Tours

For in-depth sea kayak training in the NY Metro Area, the only real game in town back when I started paddling in the 90's was Atlantic Kayak Tours run by husband and wife team Bill and Janice Lozano.  Bill was an early convert to the BCU system, the only 5 Star Paddler in the area at that time, and BCU’s North American Administrator for many years.  During much of the time I paddled with AKT, Janice was leading many (if not most) of the trips and handled the day to day business while Bill focused on setting up their Paddle Sports Center at Annsville Creek (Peekskill NY).   To this day, Bill and Janice have a unique passion for the sport and love sharing their passion with others.  This business of theirs, that they've run for more than 30 years, and their infectious enthusiasm for the sport have been huge gifts to so many sea kayakers.

So when I started paddling more seriously, AKT was THE PLACE to learn. I had done a lot of paddling on my own initially, with instruction from many different places and instructors.  Later, some years into the sport, I got serious about learning the best way to do things. And indeed had to "unlearn" some things as well. With the help of AKT, I was able to really develop my skills and eventually got my 4 Star Sea and Coach 2T awards. Around 2004 (?) Bill asked me to join the AKT staff to help lead trips and as a sea kayak coach. Although I was only able to be an active staff member there for maybe 5-6 years, it was the highlight of my time sea kayaking.  It’s impossible to overstate how important teaching others and being responsible for the happiness and safety of paying customers is in rapidly improving one’s own paddling knowledge and leadership skills.  When one has to teach how to properly execute strokes hundreds of times and when things like rescues and towing happen often out of necessity, not as part of an exercise, you can pack tons of valuable sea kayaking experience into a short amount of time.

I always remember my days paddling with AKT fondly. Their emphasis on core paddling skills and having FUN on the water really sets them apart. And the central personalities of Bill and Janice have added greatly to the success of their business, and I think to the popularity and development of sea kayaking in the NY Metro region.

Check out their "expert center" for superior tips on paddling skills, boat maintenance, etc.: AKT Expert Center

A few photos:

Crew ready to head out - North Fork Long Island!

Bill at Brigantine, NJ
Hudson Highlands w/ Becky
Chuck and Jim -  instruction class on Hudson

2 comments:

tvcrider said...

The link to the AKT Expert Center does not work. It was once my go-to on-line sea kayaking resource.
Fwiw, I obtained my BCU 3* from Bill back in 2005. However, once Bill and Janice Lozano lost their venue at Peekskill, NY it does not appear they kept the Expert Center going.

Jim said...

Link above to AKT Expert Ctr still works for me, excellent stuff there.