Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Moriches Inlet, Long Island NY - 9/5/11 (Mitchell Blades Bombora Retro-Fit)

Panorama View of Moriches Inlet - taken 9/5/11

Jobbly water at Moriches Inlet yesterday. Flood current and incoming swell made for big clapotis throughout - the narrow eddy on the western side of the inlet was too close to riprap and fishmen so using it to help get outside would have annoyed the fishermen there. Eastern side had breaking swell. So headed up the center against the current and swell (tough going) keeping an eye on boats. Not an easy task. Managed to make it out and surf (a bit) back in. Too confused to get any real rides but adrenalin producing nonetheless. Stopped to take the Panorama View above. Beautiful day on the water.

Jobbly Water at Moriches Inlet - 9/5/11

Got a chance to try out my modified Mitchell Blades Bombora paddle that day - UK owner/manufacturer sent me some pieces to install a new connector. The old connecteor required an allen wrench and fiddling with 2 screws - difficult to assemble or adjust the paddle on the water. So Lance Mitchell developed a new connector, and sent it to me along with some carbonfiber tubing to retrofit my paddle. Cut a bit off both ends, then used West Systems Epoxy (101 Repair Pack) to glue the pieces on. Done in 2 steps on two different days - one side then the other. Photos show the end result. I reduced length by 3 cm's while I was at it. The connector is a major improvement in usability.  Thanks Lance.

1 comment:

DirkL said...

I have the same paddle. I really like it but the Allen key adjusted collar is impractical on the water. I've noticed water getting into one of the paddle blades lately and am not sure how to deal with that. suggestions welcome!