Monday, August 1, 2011

Paddled both "Ends" in one short Weekend! (July 30th/31st, 2011)


Stayed at a friend's place this weekend in eastern Long Island. Since I usually avoid the "high season" for reasons of cost and crowds, it was a new experience for me - so decided to hit my two favorite LI paddling spots - Plum Gut and Montauk Point.  Plum Gut was supposed to be at 3+ knot ebb when I got there at 1:00 on Saturday, but no particular swell so mild conditions - a few fun rides nonetheless. Lots of jellyfish.  Then a paddle to Orient Beach State Park - great park with a kayak drop-off spot, beautiful beach, and nature trails.
Plum Gut - Southwest of Lighthouse

Montauk Point was super fogged in last time I visited, but this Sunday was totally clear.  Made the trek all the way to Ditch Plains beach and admired the many handsome properties along the bluffs - I'm told these include Stanford White "cottages" and homes owned by Andy Warhol and Dick Cavett among others. An inspiring paddle along a truly exposed coast.  Spear fishing seems on the rise in popularity as I stumbled across a few startled snorklers searching for fish.

View from the Cliffs of Camp Hero State Park


On my way to Ditch Plains (thanks for taking photos Becky)

No comments: