Monday, March 26, 2012

Bring back the 5.10 Nemo Highs!



On the subject of “why’d they stop making those?”, I’ve long lamented Five-Ten’s decision to stop making what I think were the best kayaking footwear I’ve owned – the Five-Ten Nemo High. In short – the Nemo Highs had excellent grip on rocks when wet or underwater because the rubber was flexible and grippy – something to do with the type of rubber they used. The sole wasn’t too thick to be cumbersome inside the boat, but thick enough that walking on dry land was a pleasure. The one cross-strap with buckle was an essential component that kept the boot on securely and was easy to use. And the high tops and padded ankle patch protected my ankles from underwater rocks and kept sand from getting inside.

I’d struggled with some poor footwear choices during my first few years of sea kayaking. Teva Sandals worked OK until in the muddy bottom of Norwalk Harbor I managed to stick a fishing hook into the bottom of my foot. I also had some basic neoprene booties which flopped around offering no support. Then I got the Five-Ten Nemo Highs – awesome shoes.

After the Nemo Highs finally wore out (several blissful years of podiatric joy), I got a pair of NRS’s Attack Shoes. While superficially similar to the Nemo’s, these had a stiffer rubber/plastic sole that was not nearly as grippy on rocky surfaces. The front/back Velcro/clip straps were a pain to deal with (why not one simple buckle strap?). And, the drain holes in the bottom were a bit of a mystery. (In my opinion, the soles of boating shoes should NOT have holes in them when first purchased!). I moved on to some Merrill water shoes – basically a sneaker with mesh to drain. These worked well, but the thicker sole was more than I wanted inside the boat dealing with the foot pegs. Plus, the lack of an upper part meant frequent nicks and cuts to my unprotected ankles by submerged rocks, etc. Eventually I purchased NRS’s Cross 4 Wetshoe – basically a simple neoprene bootie with one Velcro strap, which I use at the moment. They are not nearly as grippy on slippery surfaces as the Nemo, have less support for walking on land. But they're OK, and do offer more warmth for winter paddling.


Some other user comments on the Nemo Highs I found on the web:

“Too bad they stopped making them. Glad I bought an extra pair before that happened.”

“I had a pair of these a few years ago and they were the best boating shoes I've owned to date. The simple buckle is secure and easy to use, the neoprene ankle collar keeps out dirt, the burly uppers are durable and drain easily. Most importantly, these shoes grip, the sticky rubber is good on smooth wet rock, whilst the healthy tread provides bite on mud and wet grass.”

So WHY did Five-Ten discontinue them…? Perhaps to concentrate on their main business which is rock climbing shoes. Still, with a winner like the Nemo High, bringing it back would capture the ever expanding kayaking market – get the word out and maybe they’ll do it!

2 comments:

tvcrider said...

Jim, I too was a big fan of the 5.10 Nemos. They did however have a weakness. The toe caps on mine came off twice. I had a shoe repair shop fix them the first time, but after the second they were beyond redemption. I waited for a number of years see if 5.10 would release a successor to the Nemos, but it never seemed to happen until now. I just came across this link at the NOC:
http://store.noc.com/NEOPRENE-BOOTIES-AND-SOCKS/Five-Ten-Water-Tennie-Unisex/106151/126-543/Product

Jim said...

Yeah they wore out fast, kept them alive with ShoeGoo for awhile. I bought a pair of their Water Tennies - fit not nearly as good as the Nemo Highs and the laces not as good as the basic buckle. But I'll use them a bit and maybe put a review on here. Thx