Friday, November 15, 2013

In Defense of the SKUK Romany Kayak – Review




Not that the Romany needs defending exactly, but it’s not a new design.  And I’ve written about other kayaks I’ve demoed on this blog, but not yet about the kayak I own. The two flagship kayaks of the SKUK (NDK) line remain the Romany and the Explorer – neither has changed much since their release in the early 1990’s. I’ve owned both and they are the only kayaks that I purchased new, custom ordered from the UK. Other boats I’ve owned have come and gone – good boats that I’ve thoroughly enjoyed. But I’ve still kept the Romany and am unlikely to part with it.  Here's why:

The hull is a friendly design – comfortable for those new to the sport and one that increasingly shows its value as a paddler’s skills improve. The Romany has enough rocker to be fun and responsive in conditions, while also remaining straight-running even without using the skeg. It has a boxy chine to carve and maneuver in following seas or when surfing, but is more gentle than some of the recent kayak designs that respond sharply to edging. The boat is reassuring in big conditions – whether your energy is high and you’re attacking the surf, or at the end of a long day and your goal is to get home.  Other kayaks may excel at certain times because of the choices the boat's designer made – some are better at distance paddling, some are more sharply responsive in surf, some may handle beam waves with a bit more ease. But these same kayaks can also become a burden at times – those with too much rocker are hard to keep straight, those with fully rounded chines lack a responsive edge to support aggressive sweep strokes, those with an even flatter cross-section may suffer more leeway in high winds.  The Romany hull is a thoughtful compromise that solidly performs all that a skilled paddler can throw at it while not excelling in any one area to the detriment of another. For this reason, having such a boat is (in my opinion) a good decision for all sea kayakers. Whether it is the only boat you own, or the “workhorse” in your fleet to use when you need a reliable craft, the Romany is a great choice.

They’re also pretty bomb-proof.  Though heavy, I’ve bashed my SKUK boats around and they’re solidly built and largely maintenance free.  In my experience the round hatches are bone dry no matter how rough the conditions are.  The boat doesn’t have any fiddly parts or an odd layout – the skeg slider is where it should be; the deck lines are well arranged – they avoid the day hatch area so you can put the cover back on easily (for example); the thigh braces and seat are simple, functional, and ergonomic for an active paddler.  The thing just works well – Nigel Dennis got it right the first time and clearly sees no reason to make substantial changes to the boat. And of course with the popularity of the SKUK boats among seasoned paddlers, it seems every other manufacturer has incorporated some of the Romany/Explorer design elements into their own boats - imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.  Despite a lot of imitators, no one has created anything that's quite as good as the original – the Romany and Explorer remain at the top of the short list of rough water sea kayaks.

There are tons of Romany’s out there among experienced sea kayakers, yet you don’t see too many for sale.  The reason for this is obvious I think – once you own one you don't want to part with it. In fact, Sea Kayaker Magazine voted the Romany the “Best Day/Weekend Kayak” and “Best Rough-Water Kayak” in their 2011 Readers Choice awards.  For a design that hasn’t changed in 20 years, that’s saying something.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jim & thanks for sharing your thoughts -albeit, some time ago now :D

I've been sea kayaking for about 10 years and have finally picked up a used NDK Explorer.
My biggest concern was weight & build quality, based on a number of other paddlers reviews I had read.

I'm happy to report that the build quality is excellent & that it's no heavier than other sea kayaks of similar size & capacity. I can lift it off & on to my car roof but I always rest my kayaks on a raised leg which presses gently against the car, before the final lift onto to roof. Maybe when I get too old I'll need a new strategy, but I find it gives greater control of the load & much less effort in the end.

Back to the Explorer.. some suggested it was a bit bland. That's not been my experience. I love it's sporty (aka responsive) feel on the water. It's not as agile as my Valley Gemini, or my Dagger Stratos, but I find myself paddling it more than the Gemini, because I love the feel (& the extra speed, ability to catch swell etc) so much. I also like that NDK have seen fit to lower the rear deck so the paddler can lay back further toward the stern. Kind of handy when you find yourself on a steep one :). In fact, being able to redistribute my body weight like that, when needed has saved me a few spills in the explorer -and other kayaks I've owned allowing that range of movement.

I still really like the Gemini SP & it's horses for courses, but the Explorer is truly a superb all rounder. It has replaced an excellent sea worthy, straight-keeled, narrow, kayak, which ran fast & like an arrow in surf & yet could be steered with ease. The only reason I sold it & bought the NDK was because I didn't want to be burying my bow on steeper waves & I needed to be able to turn the kayak faster in surf zones.

Re. build quality, the highly regarded Valley kayak has gel-coat that is way too thin in places. The Explorer however is just extremely well constructed. I'm not a fan of the chunky gel-coat around the skeg-box, which if you are me, seems to get chipped away too easily, but otherwise I can't fault it, except that the cockpit rim could benefit from some redesign, to present a rounder edge to the spray deck. Even the deck fittings are better than most. I re-rigged the boat when I got it & for nice tight lines, or threading fat shock-cord, I just had to unscrew the fitting and push the cord under, then tighten it up again. so well though-out!

Mine had the old school seat which was glassed in under the cockpit rim & a horrible seat it was. I have since added a f/glass performance seat & it's perfect. The shape & pitch of the seat seems just right without any additional foam or adjustment, so I'm glad they clearly put the effort in to get it right.

I enjoyed your review of the Gemini SP btw & completely agree with your thoughts on it, apart from me not finding the Valley seats uncomfortable & not finding the boat tippy (I had already been conditioned by a "tippy" kayak with an ocean cockpit :).

I also had a Gemini ST & went from hating it to loving it in about 1 month. It all came down to lowering the seat a little. Once you get that sorted, it is a beautiful kayak to paddle. Not for rock gardens, but that's why they made the Gemini SP RM! -or, Dagger Stratos?

So, well done NDK.