Sunday, September 22, 2013

Foldable Kayak Cart - Modification to Prevent it Collapsing over Curbs !


Another in my line of El-Cheapo fixes for semi-functional kayaking gear.  A trip to Home Depot for $3 worth of supplies (short length of 1/2” PVC pipe and some #10 nuts/bolts) was all it took to solidify my collapsing kayak cart.  Many kayakers have one of these at some point I expect – a foldable kayak cart.  They work GREAT on flat surfaces, but if you have to go over a curb or some larger obstacles they are prone to collapsing – THUD, WHAM, you’re stopped dead in your tracks.  Rather than shelling out another $150 for a non-foldable cart (of which there are many), just adding a bar to stop this is easy. The top-tube of many foldable kayak carts already have pre-drilled holes (not sure why) so the only drilling I had to do was in the soft PVC pipe.

Easy Peasy.
 
1/2" PVC pipe and two bolts - stops kayak cart collapse



Underside
 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

THANK YOU!!!!! I stopped using my cart because of the constant collapsing. I was imagining a much more complex 'fix' until I saw this. Again, Thank You!! : )

Anonymous said...

Thank you. I just got my cart and was trying to figure out a solution.

Anonymous said...

Thank you! I thought I was defective. Turns out I’m not. Thank you for showing this easy fix!