Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Boats I've Owned - Seven (7) and Counting

"All kayaks are a compromise of one type or another" - i.e. no such thing as a perfect boat.

Necky Looksha IV (Purchased in 1995/1996): My first kayak - I really lucked out with this one. I bought it used in great condition and at the time knew very little about what makes a good sea kayak.  Had it as my primary boat for several years and sometimes regret selling it. Learned to roll in this boat, did a bit of kayak fishing for stripers and bluefish. It's no longer made by Necky in plastic version.  The Looksha IV was maneouverable and really fun. Not sure the kayaking-bug would have grabbed me as much if my first kayak had been something less inspiring to paddle. Sold it in 2000.
CLC North Bay (Built in 1999): A great project but not my favorite boat to paddle.  I got inspired by local builders and emailed Bobby Curtis, Jay Babina, and Nick Shade in 97/98 for advice on building and to get my courage up to tackle the project. Installed some inlay and hatch.  Eventually sold it in 2006 as it wasn't getting enough use.


NDK Explorer (Purchased in 2002): Decided to get more serious about moving up the BCU chain so got this boat. Helped me build skills, used it a lot, some camping. Eventually found myself using my next boat more (Pintail) so sold it in 2005- would have definitely kept it if I had more room in the garage. Often think of getting another one - very solid.

VCP Pintail (Purchased around 2004): Although the seat was always too small for me, in all other ways the boat "fit" me well and reminded me of the fun turny-ness of my first boat the Looksha IV.  Once I got the Pintail, it's all I paddled. Totally fell in love with the boat. No other boat I've tried handled wind and rough water so well.  Nothing else as fun to paddle. Rope skeg (used often) was sometimes a pain to fiddle with. Ocean cockpit so secure and comfy as compared to keyhole - but a minor struggle to enter/exit. Bought used (a '96 Pintail) and sold it in 2010 due to loss of my boat storage. New owner was thrilled to get it. Had to flip a coin between selling the Pintail or Romany. Chances are good I'll buy another one someday. UPDATE!: Valley stopped making this boat - if you can find one, grab it!


NDK Romany (Purchased in 2008): Wanted a 2nd boat as a loaner and something more "vanilla" than the Pintail.  A Romany was the boat I would usually grab when staffing programs with AKT no matter the venue.  Familiar feel after owning the Explorer. Surfs straighter and handles following seas better than the Pintail. But surprisingly more volume in front than Pintail - had to expand my front cradle straps more than a little when switching to the Romany.  


Epic V8 Surf Ski (Purchased 2013): Bought a used surf ski to work on forward paddling form. The V8 is a beginner ski, stable and 18 feet long.  Great to work on forward stroke, knees-up helps torso rotation. Shoulder injury prevented me from doing much distance paddling so sold it.


Valley Gemini SP (Purchased 2014):  Wanted something for shorter local paddles and lighter to be easier to move around.  Great boat - shorter play style kayak but has enough of the "standard" sea kayak features to be appropriate for any type of coastal day paddling.  Full review on my Gemini SP blog post.





No comments: